The History of England

from Celts through 20th century

THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Category: Educational System

In  the  course  of  the  last  half-century  the  importance  of  libraries  in  the  economy  of  academic  institutions  has  become  more  and  more  fully  recognized.  Universities  have  no  doubt  always  been  proud  of  their  libraries,  but  in  the  older  days,  and  perhaps  particularly  in  Scotland,  they  tended  to  regard  them  more  from  the  professional  scholar’s  point  of  view  than  from  that  of  an  ordinary  undergraduate.  For  this  the  lecture  system,  which  flourished  so  hardily  in  the  Scot­tish  Universities,  may  have  been  partly  responsible.  But  with  the  modern  developments  of  scholarship  and  science,  the  inevitable  growth  of  specialisation,  and  the  increasing  domination  of  the  book,  it  became  obvious  that  oral  teaching  had  to  be  more  and  more  largely  supplemented  by  the  printed  word  and,  as  a  result,  the  libraries  began  to  be  more  extensively  used.  The  change  of  the  outlook  may  be  noted  in  the  emphasis  repeatedly  laid,  in  recent  years,  by  the  University  Grants  Committee  upon  the  “profound  importance  of  the  library  in  the  academic  life  of  the  University”.

One  of  the  first  results  of  this  wider  conception  of  the  functions  of  a  University  library  has  naturally  been  an  endeavour  to  secure  increased  accommodation  both  for  books  and  readers.  Here  many  of  the  older  universities  found  themselves  in  something  of  a  dilemma,  as  their  buildings  had  been  planned  without  sufficient  prevision  of  subsequent  needs,  and  the  problem  of  expansion  has  often  been  extremely  difficult  to  solve.  It  has  been  so  in  the Edinburgh Uni­versity.  The  Library  buildings  designed  by  Adam  and  Playfair,  and  finished  rather  more  than  a  hundred  years  ago,  have  always  been  deservedly  admired  for  the  imposing  dignity  of  their  architecture  and  they  have  also  notable  merits  from  the  librarian’s  point  of  view;  but  they  could  not  be  extended  at  either  end  without  encroaching  upon  other  departments  of  the  University,  and  extension  on  the  west  flank  had  been  rendered  impossible  when  the  Town  Council,  in  1854,  appropriated  the  free  ground  there  for  civic  purposes.  So  far  as  its  actual  premises  are  concerned,  therefore,  the  demand  of  the  Library  in  recent  times  has  always  been  for  more  space;  and,  in  one  way  or  another,  the  demand  has  been  or  is  being  successfully  met.

The  first  large  scheme  proposed  for  dealing  with  the  problem  was  to  instal  steel  shelving  in  place  of  the  heavy,  old-fashioned  wooden  shelves  in  the  lower  portion  of  the  Library.  As  far  back  as  1899  the  Library  Committee  considered  the  advantages  of  the  American  system  of  shelving;  and  a  few  years  later,  in  1903,  it  definitely  recommended  that  the  groundfloor  of  the  Library  should  be  refitted  according  to  plans  submitted  by  the  Art  Metal  Company.  The  recommendation  was  accepted  and  the  work  was  carried  through  in  the  course  of  the  next  year  or  so.  It  may  be  noted  that  the  ener­getic  support  given  to  the  scheme  by  Principal  Sir  William  Turner  was  largely  responsible  for  its  adoption  and  its  rapid  execution.

 

In  1923  a  further  installation  of  steel  shelving  was  secured  for  the  Library  after  the  department  of  Agriculture,  which  was  situated  at  the  western  end  of  the  Library  buildings,  had  been  removed  to  its  new  quarters  in  George  Square,  and  the  space  it  had  hitherto  occupied  was  set  free.  The  lower  section  of  the  book-store  thus  provided  is  known  as  the  Turner  Room,  and  in  it  most  of  the  newer  accessions  are  housed.

More  recently  still,  when  the  Natural  History  department  was  about  to  be  removed  to  The  King’s  Buildings,  it  was  realised  that  the  premises  to  be  vacated  would  provide  a  really  adequate  exten­sion  of  the  Library;  and  in  1928  the  Library  Committee  made  a  strong  recommendation  to  the  University  Court  that  all  available  space  should  be  utilised  for  that  purpose.  It  was  not,  however,  until  a  comprehensive  scheme  for  dealing  with  the  problem  of  accommodation  in  the  Old  College  was  under  consideration,  a  couple  of  years  later,  that  any  definite  plans  for  the  extension  of  the  Library  could  be  submitted;  indeed  the  scheme  finally  approved  is  only  now  in  the  course  of  execution.  It  is  being  carried  out  in  three  stages;  and  it  should  keep  at  bay  for  a  very  long  time  to  come  that  fear  besetting  all  anxious-minded  librarians  that  their  book-  accommodation  may  run  short.  The  first  stage,  which  was  completed  in  the  course  of  1932  has,  along  with  other  structural  changes,  con­verted  the  old  Natural  History  Museum  into  a  much-needed  enlarge­ment  of  the  Students’  Reading-Room.

An  important  extension  of  the  Library  outside  the  Old  College  has  quite  recently  been  obtained  by  establishing  a  Central  Medical  Library  at  the  New  Buildings  in  Teviot  Row.  A  reading-room  for  medical  students  was  opened  there  as  far  back  as  the  year  1885  and  constant  and  increasing  use  of  it  has  been  made  ever  since.  But  for  a  considerable  time  the  Teaching  Staff  of  the  Medical  Faculty  found  themselves  handicapped  by  the  want  of  a  central  library  where  the  most  recent  medical  literature,  and  especially  the  pe­riodicals,  might  be  available  for  consultation.  The  creation  of  such  a  library  became  a  substantial  fact  in  the  end  of  1930.

Finally,  a  word  must  be  said  about  the  numerous  departmental  and  class  libraries  which  have  been  instituted  in  the  course  of  the  last  fifty  years.  Such  libraries  are  a  distinctive  feature  in  the  economy  of  the  modern  university;  for,  though  they  are  apt,  to  make  somewhat  formidable  depredations  on  the  main  library,  they  are  obviously  indispensable  where,  as  at Edinburgh,  a  number  of  departments  are  situated  at  a  great  distance  from  the  central  building  and  from  each  other.  There  are  between  twenty  and  thirty  departmental  and  class  libraries  in  different  parts  of  the  University,  some  of  them  very  extensive,  and  others  quite  modest.  The  library  Committee  has  always  adopted  a  sympathetic  attitude  towards  them,  giving  them  all  the  support  in  its  power  and  allowing  them  to  develop,  so  far  as  possible,  on  their  own  lines.

(From  History  of  the University  of Edinburgh  by  A. Logan  Turner)


« ||| »

Discovering nature with game by Max Polyakov and Murka

Comments are closed.