The History of England

from Celts through 20th century


Category: 17th century

Charles  became  King  Charles  I  in  the  twenty-fifth  year  of  his  age.  Unlike  his  father,  he  was  usually  amiable  in  his  private  character,  and  grave  and  dignified  in  his  bearing;  but,  like  his  father,  he  had  monstrously  exaggerated  notions  of  the  rights  of  a  king,  and  was  not  to  be  trusted.

First  of  all  he  sent  Buckingham  to France,  to  bring  his  bride,  Henrietta  Maria  to England.  The  English  received  their  new  Queen  with  great  favour.

But  she,  being  a  Catholic,  hated  the  Protestant  religion,  and  brought  Catholic  priests  with  her.  Hence,  the  people  soon  came  to  dislike  her,  and  she  soon  came  to  dislike  them.  In  fact,  Henrietta  Maria  did  much  in  setting  the  King  against  his  subjects.

King  Charles  the  First  wanted  to  be  a  high  and  mighty  King,  and  not  to  be  called  to  account  by  anybody.  His  Queen  also  wanted  him  to  put  his  Parliament  down  and  to  put  himself  up.  That  idea  was  enough  to  ruin  any  king.

He  was  bent  upon  war  with Spain,  though  neither  the  House  of  Commons  nor  the  people  were  quite  clear  as  to  the  justice  of  that  war.  But  the  King  rushed  into  it  hotly,  raised  money  by  illegal  means  to  meet  its  expenses,  and  encountered  a  miserable  failure  at Cadiz,  in  the  very  first  year  of  his  reign.  An  expedition  to  Cadiz  had  been  made  in  the  hope  of  plunder,  but  as  it  was  not  successful,  it  was  necessary  to  get  money  from  the  Parliament.  When  they  met,  the  King  told  them  “to  make  haste  to  let  him  have  it,  or  it  would  be  the  worse  for  themselves”.  These  words  caused  great  indignation,  and  the  members  of  the  Parliament  impeached  the  King’s  favourite,  the  Duke  of  Buckingham,  as  the  cause  of  many  great  public  wrongs.  The  King,  to  save  his  friend,  dissolved  the  Parliament  without  getting  the  money  he  wanted.

Then  he  began  to  raise  money  himself.  He  levied  certain  duties  called  tonnage  and  poundage  which  had  not  been  granted  by  the  Parliament.  He  called  upon  the  seaport  towns  to  furnish  armed  ships.  He  required  the  people  to  lend  him  large  sums  of  money,  the  repayment  of  which  was  very  doubtful.  Those  who  refused  to  do  so  were  punished.  Five  gentlemen,  named  Sir  Thomas  Darnel,  John  Corbet,  Walter  Earl,  John  Heveningham,  and  Everard  Hampden,  were  sent  to  prison  for  refusing  to  lend  money.  All  that  was  a  violation  of  Magna  Charta,  and  there  was  a  fatal  division  between  the  King  and  the  people.

*  *  *

It  became  necessary  to  call  another  Parliament.  The  people  felt  the  danger  in  which  their  liberties  were,  chose  for  it  those  who  were  best  known  for  their  determined  opposition  to  the  King.  But  still  the  King  addressed  the  new  Parliament  in  a  contemptuous  manner,  and  just  told  them  that  he  had  only  called  them  together  because  he  wanted  money.

The  Parliament  ignored  his  words,  and  laid  before  him  one  of  the  great  documents  of  history,  which  is  called  The  Petition  of  Right.  It  was  said  in  the  document  that  the  free  men  of  England  should  no  longer  lend  the  King  money,  and  should  no  longer  be  pressed  or  imprisoned  for  refusing  to  do  so;  further,  that  the  free  men  of  England  should  no  longer  be  seized  by  the  King’s  special  mandate  or  warrant,  it  being  contrary  to  their  rights  and  liberties  and  the  laws  of  their  country.

The  King  was  greatly  alarmed,  and  had  to  give  his  consent  to  all  that  was  required  of  him.  Unfortunately,  afterwards  he  departed  from  his  word  on  these  points.

By  this  time  England  had  been  involved  in  war  with France,  as  well  as  with Spain.  Buckingham  did  much  to  start  it.  But  he  was  destined  to  do  little  more  mischief  in  this  world.  One  morning,  as  he  was  going  out  of  his  house  to  his  carriage,  he  was  violently  stabbed  with  a  knife,  which  the  murderer  left  sticking  in  his  heart.  He  was  stabbed  by  John  Felton,  a  Protestant  and  a  retired  officer  in  the  army.  He  said  he  had  killed  the  Duke  as  a  curse  to  the  country.  He  had  aimed  his  blow  well,  for  Buckingham  had  only  had  time  to  cry  out,  “Villain!”  and  then  he  drew  out  the  knife,  and  died.

A  little  sooner  John  Felton  was  simply  executed  for  the  murder  he  had  done.  A  murder  it  undoubtedly  was,  and  not  in  the  least  to  be  defended:  though  he  had  freed  England  from  a  base  court  favourite.  A  very  different  man  now  arose.  This  was  Sir  Thomas  Wentworth,  a  Yorkshire  gentleman,  who  had  sat  in  Parliament  for  a  long  time,  and  who  had  favoured  arbitrary  and  haughty  principles,  but  who  had  gone  over  to  the  people’s  side  on  receiving  offence  from  Buckingham.  The  King,  much  wanting  such  a  man  —  for,  besides  being  naturally  favourable  to  the  King’s  cause,  he  had  great  abilities  —  made  him  first  a  Baron,  and  then  a  Viscount,  and  gave  him  high  employment,  and  won  him  most  completely.

A  Parliament,  however,  was  still  in  existence,  and  was  not  to  be  won.  On  the  twentieth  of  January,  1629,  Sir  John  Eliot,  a  great  man  who  had  been  active  in  The  Petition  of  Right,  brought  forward  other  strong  resolutions  against  the  King’s  chief  instruments,  and  called  upon  the  Speaker  to  put  them  to  the  vote.

To  this  the  Speaker  answered,  “he  was  commanded  otherwise  by  the  King,”  and  got  up  to  leave  the  chair  —  which  according  to  the  rules  of  the  House  of  Commons  would  have  obliged  it  to  adjourn  without  doing  anything  more  —  when  two  members,  named  Mr.  Hollis  and  Mr.  Valentine,  held  him  down.  A  scene  of  great  confusion  arose  among  the  members;  and  while  many  swords  were  drawn  and  flashing  about,  the  King,  who  was  kept  informed  of  all  that  was  going  on,  told  the  captain  of  his  guard  to  go  down  to  the  House  and  force  the  doors.  The  resolutions  were  by  that  time,  however,  voted,  and  the  House  adjourned.  Sir  John  Eliot  and  those  two  members  who  had  held  the  Speaker  down,  were  quickly  summoned  before  the  council.  As  they  claimed  it  to  be  their  privilege  not  to  answer  out  of  Parliament  for  anything  they  had  said  in  it,  they  were  committed  to  the  Tower.  The  King  then  went  down  and  dissolved  the  Parliament,  having  called  these  gentlemen  “Vipers”.

As  they  refused  to  gain  their  liberty  by  saying  they  were  sorry  for  what  they  had  done,  the  King,  always  remarkably  unforgiving,  never  overlooked  their  offence.  When  they  still  came  before  the  court,  they  were  sentenced  to  heavy  fines,  and  to  be  imprisoned  during  the  King’s  pleasure.  When  Sir  John  Eliot’s  health  had  quite  given  way,  and  he  petitioned  for  his  release,  the  King  answered  that  the  petition  was  not  humble  enough.  When  Sir  Thomas  died  in  the  Tower,  and  his  children  petitioned  to  be  allowed  to  take  his  body  down  to Cornwall,  to  lay  it  among  the  ashes  of  his  forefathers,  the  King  returned  for  answer,  “Let  Sir  John  Eliot’s  body  be  buried  in  the  church  of  that  parish  where  he  died.”

*  *  *

For  twelve  long  years,  steadily  pursuing  his  design  of  setting  himself  up  and  putting  the  people  down,  the  King  called  no  Parliament.  For  twelve  years  King  Charles  the  First  reigned  in  England  unlawfully  and  despotically,  seized  upon  his  subjects’  goods  and  money  at  his  pleasure,  and  punished  according  to  his  will  all  who  ventured  to  oppose  him.

William  Laud,  Archbishop  of  Canterbury,  was  the  King’s  right-hand  man  in  the  religious  part  of  the  putting  down  of  the  people’s  liberties.  Laud  was  a  man  of  large  learning  but  small  sense.  He  was  a  Protestant,  but  he  held  opinions  so  near  those  of  the  Catholics,  that  the  Pope  wanted  to  make  him  a  Cardinal,  if  he  would  have  accepted  that  favour.  He  thought  vows,  robes,  lighted  candles,  images  and  so  on  to  be  very  important  in  religious  ceremonies.  He  also  regarded  archbishops  and  bishops  as  a  sort  of  miraculous  persons.  All  that  could  not  please  the  English.

In  the  money  part  of  the  putting  down  of  the  people’s  liberties,  the  King  was  equally  alarming.  He  levied  those  duties  of  tonnage  and  poundage,  and  increased  them  as  he  thought  fit.  He  granted  monopolies  to  companies  of  merchants  on  their  paying  him  for  them,  notwithstanding  the  great  complaints  that  had,  for  years  and  years,  been  made  on  the  subject  of  monopolies.  He  revived  the  detested Forest  laws.  Above  all,  he  determined  to  have  what  was  called  Ship  Money  for  the  support  of  the  fleet.

That  was  too  much,  and  John  Chambers,  a  citizen  of London,  refused  to  pay  his  part  of  the  Ship  Money.  For  this  the  Lord  Mayor  ordered  John  Chambers  to  prison,  and  for  that  John  Chambers  brought  a  suit  against  the  Lord  Mayor.  Lord  Say  also  declared  he  would  not  pay.  But  the  best  opponent  of  the  Ship  Money  was  John  Hampden,  a  gentleman  of  Buckinghamshire,  who  had  sat  among  the  “vipers”  in  the  House  of  Commons,  and  who  had  been  the  bosom  friend  of  Sir  John  Eliot.  This  case  was  tried  before  the  twelve  judges  in  the  Court  of  Exchequer,  and  again  the

King’s  lawyers  said  it  was  impossible  that  Ship  Money  could  be  wrong,  because  the  King  could  do  no  wrong.  Seven  of  the  judges  said  that  was  quite  true,  and  Mr.  Hampden  was  bound  to  pay;  five  of  the  judges  said  that  was  quite  false,  and  Mr.  Hampden  was  not  bound  to  pay.  So,  the  King  triumphed  (as  he  thought),  by  making  Hampden  the  most  popular  man  in England.  But  the  matters  in  the  country  were  getting  to  that  height  now,  that  many  honest  Englishmen  had  to  sail  away  across  the  seas  to  found  a  colony  in  Massachusetts  Bay  in America.  It  is  said  that  Hampden  himself  and  his  relation  Oliver  Cromwell  were  going  with  a  company  of  such  voyagers,  and  were  actually  on  board  ship,  when  they  were  stopped  by  a  proclamation,  prohibiting  sea  captains  to  carry  out  such  passengers  without  the  royal  license.  But  it  would  have  been  well  for  the  King  if  he  had  let  them  go!

*  *  *

This  was  the  state  of England.  Laud  did  great  mischief  in Scotland.  In  his  attempts  to  force  his  own  ideas  of  bishops,  and  his  own  religious  forms  and  ceremonies  upon  the  Scotch,  he  rouse  that  nation  to  a  perfect  frenzy.  They  formed  a  solemn  league,  which  they  called  The  Covenant,  for  the  preservation  of  their  own  religious  forms;  they  rose  in  arms  throughout  the  whole  country;  they  summoned  all  their  men  to  prayers  and  sermons  twice  a  day  by  beat  of  drum;  they  sang  psalms,  in  which  they  compared  their  enemies  to  the  evil  spirits;  and  they  solemnly  vowed  to  smite  them  with  the  sword.

The  Earl  of  Strafford  and  Laud  were  for  conquering  the  Scottish  people  by  force  of  arms.  Other  lords  who  were  taken  into  council,  recommended  that  a  Parliament  should  at  last  be  called,  and  the  King  had  to  do  that.  So,  on  the  thirteenth  of  April,  1640,  the  Parliament  met.  It  is  called  the  Short  Parliament,  for  it  lasted  a  very  little  while.  While  the  members  were  all  looking  at  one  another,  doubtful  who  would  speak  first,  Mr.  Pym  arose  and  set  forth  all  that  the  King  had  done  unlawfully  during  the  past  twelve  years,  and  what  was  the  position  to  which  England  was  reduced.  This  great  example  encouraged  other  members,  and  they  spoke  the  truth  freely,  though  with  great  patience  and  moderation.  The  King,  a  little  frightened,  sent  to  say  that  if  they  would  grant  him  a  certain  sum  on  certain  terms,  no  more  Ship  Money  would  be  raised.  They  debated  the  matter  for  two  days,  and  then,  as  they  would  not  give  him  all  he  asked  without  promise  or  inquiry,  he  dissolved  them.

But  they  knew  very  well  that  he  must  have  a  Parliament  now.  The  King  knew  it  too.  So,  on  the  twenty-fourth  of  September,  being  then  at  York  with  an  army  collected  against  the  Scottish  people,  the  King  told  the  great  council  of  the  Lords,  whom  he  had  called  to  meet  him  there,  that  he  would  summon  another  Parliament  to  assemble  on  the  third  of  November.  The  soldiers  of  the  Covenant  had  now  forced  their  way  into  England  and  had  taken  possession  of  the  northern  counties,  where  the  coals  are  got.  As  it  would  never  do  to  be  without  coals,  and  as  the  King’s  toops  could  make  no  head  against  the  Covenanters  so  full  of  gloomy  zeal,  a  truce  was  made,  and  a  treaty  with  Scotland  was  taken  into  consideration.  Meanwhile  the  northern  counties  paid  the  Covenanters  to  leave  the  coals  alone,  and  keep  quiet.

The  Long  Parliament  assembled  on  the  third  of  November,  1641.  That  day  the  Earl  of  Strafford  arrived  from York,  very  sensible  that  the  men  who  formed  that  Parliament  were  no  friends  towards  him,  as  he  had  always  opposed  himself  to  their  liberties.  The  King  told  him,  for  his  comfort,  that  the  Parliament  “should  not  hurt  one  hair  of  his  head.”  But,  on  the  very  next  day  Mr.  Pym,  in  the  House  of  Commons,  and  with  great  solemnity,  impeached  the  Earl  of  Strafford  as  a  traitor.  He  was  immediately  taken  into  custody  and  fell  from  his  proud  height.

Only  on  the  twenty-second  of  March,  1642,  he  was  brought  to  trial  in  Westminster  Hall.  He  tried  to  defend  himself,  but  on  the  thirteenth  day  of  the  trial,  Pym  produced  in  the  House  of  Commons  a  copy  of  some  notes,  in  which  Strafford  had  distinctly  told  the  King  that  he  was  free  from  all  rules  and  obligations  of  government,  and  might  do  with  his  people  whatever  he  liked,  as  he  had  an  army  in  Ireland  to  reduce  the  kingdom  to  obedience.  It  was  not  clear  whether  by  the  words  “the  kingdom”  he  had  really  meant  England  or Scotland.  But  the  Parliament  decided  that  he  meant England,  and  this  was  treason.  At  the  same  sitting  of  the  House  of  Commons  it  was  resolved  to  bring  in  a  bill  of  attainder  declaring  the  treason  to  have  been  committed.

So,  a  bill  was  brought  in  at  once,  was  carried  through  the  House  of  Commons  by  a  large  majority,  and  was  sent  up  to  the  House  of  Lords.  While  it  was  still  uncertain  whether  the  House  of  Lords  would  pass  it  and  the  King  consent  to  it,  Pym  disclosed  to  the  House  of  Commons  that  the  King  and  Queen  had  both  been  plotting  with  the  officers  of  the  army  to  bring  up  the  soldiers  and  control  the  Parliament,  and  also  to  introduce  two  hundred  soldiers  into  the  Tower  of  London  to  effect  the  Earl’s  escape.  The  King  had  actually  given  his  warrant  for  the  admission  of  the  two  hundred  men  into  the  Tower,  and  they  would  have  got  in  too,  but  the  governor  refused  to  admit  them.

These  matters  were  made  public,  and  great  numbers  of  people  began  to  riot  outside  the  Houses  of  Parliament,  and  to  cry  out  for  the  execution  of  the  Earl  of  Strafford.

The  bill  passed  the  House  of  Lords  while  the  people  were  in  this  state  of  agitation,  and  was  laid  before  the  King  for  his  assent,  together  with  another  bill  declaring  that  the  Parliament  then  assembled  should  not  be  dissolved  or  adjourned  without  their  own  consent.  The  King  was  in  some  doubt  what  to  do;  but  he  gave  his  consent  to  both  bills,  although  he  in  his  heart  believed  that  the  bill  against  the  Earl  of  Strafford  was  unlawful  and  unjust.  The  Earl  had  written  to  him,  telling  him  that  he  was  willing  to  die  for  his  sake.  But  he  had  not  expected  that  his  royal  master  would  take  him  at  his  word  so  readily;  for,  when  he  heard  his  doom,  he  laid  his  hand  upon  his  heart,  and  said,  “Put  not  your  trust  in  Princes!”  On  the  twelfth  of  May  he  was  beheaded  on  Tower  Hill,  having  been  blessed  by  Archbishop  Laud,  who  was  also  confined  in  the  Tower.

The  Parliament  accompanied  this  bold  and  daring  act  by  other  famous  measures,  all  originating  in  the  King’s  having  abused  his  power.  The  name  of  Delinquents  was  applied  to  all  those  who  had  been  concerned  in  raising  money  from  the  people  in  an  unlawful  manner.  Laud  was  impeached,  and  a  bill  was  passed  declaring  that  a  Parliament  should  be  called  every  third  year,  and  that  if  the  King  and  the  King’s  officers  did  not  call  it,  the  people  should  summon  it.  The  country  was  wildly  excited,  and  the  Parliament  took  advantage  of  this  excitement.

*  *  *

The  King  continued  to  plot  with  the  officers,  as  he  had  done  before,  and  signed  their  petition  against  the  Parliamentary  leaders.  When  the  Scottish  army  was  disbanded,  he  went  to  Edinburgh  in  four  days  —  which  was  going  very  fast  at  that  time  —  to  plot  again.  Some  suppose  that  he  wanted  to  gain  over  the  Scottish  Parliament,  as  he  did  in  fact  gain  over,  by  presents  and  favours,  many  Scottish  lords  and  men  of  power.  Some  think  that  he  went  to  get  proofs  against  the  Parliamentary  leaders  in  England  of  their  having  treasonably  invited  the  Scottish  people  to  come  and  help  them.  But  he  did  little  good  by  going  to Scotland.

It  is  not  absolutely  proved  that  the  King  plotted  in  Ireland  too,  but  it  is  very  probable  that  he  did,  and  that  the  Queen  did,  and  that  they  had  some  hope  of  gaining  the  Irish  people  over  to  their  side  by  favouring  a  rise  among  them.  Whether  or  no,  they  did  rise  in  a  most  brutal  and  savage  rebellion,  encouraged  by  their  priests.  They  committed  great  atrocities  upon  numbers  of  the  English,  of  both  sexes  and  of  all  ages.  Many  Protestants  were  murdered  in  this  outbreak.

The  King  came  home  from Scotland,  determined  to  make  a  great  struggle  for  his  lost  power.  He  believed  that,  through  his  presents  and  favours,  Scotland  would  take  no  part  against  him;  and  the  Lord  Mayor  of  London  received  him  with  such  a  magnificent  dinner  that  he  thought  he  must  have  become  popular  again  in  England.  But  soon  the  King  found  himself  mistaken.  Pym,  Hampden  and  some  other  members  of  the  Parliament  put  forward  a  celebrated  paper  called  “The  Remonstrance”,  which  set  forth  all  the  illegal  acts  that  the  King  had  ever  done,  but  politely  laid  the  blame  of  them  on  his  bad  advisers.  Taken  no  warning  from  this,  the  King  still  thought  himself  strong  enough.-  On  the  third  of  January,  1642,  he  took  the  rashest  step  that  ever  was  taken  by  mortal  man,  having  sent  the  Attorney-General  to  the  House  of  Lords,  to  accuse  of  treason  certain  members  of  Parliament,  Lord  Kimbolton,  Sir  Arthur  Haselrig,  Denzil  Hollis  and  John  Pym,  who  as  popular  leaders  were  the  most  obnoxious  to  him.  The  King  also  ordered  to  enter  their  houses  and  seal  up  their  papers.  At  the  same  time,  he  sent  a  messenger  to  the  House  of  Commons  demanding  to  have  the  five  gentlemen  who  were  members  of  that  House  immediately  produced.  But  the  House  answered  that  there  was  no  legal  charge  against  them,  and  refused  to  obey  the  King.

Next  day  the  House  of  Commons  sent  into  the  City  to  let  the  Lord  Mayor  know  that  their  privileges  are  invaded  by  the  King.  At  the  same  time  the  King  came  to  Parliament,  with  all  his  guard  and  from  two  to  three  hundred  gentlemen  and  soldiers.  He  left  the  soldiers  in  the  hall,  and  then,  with  his  nephew  at  his  side,  went  into  the  House,  took  off  his  hat,  and  walked  up  to  the  Speaker’s  chair.  The  Speaker  left  it,  and  stood  silent.  Then  the  King  said  he  had  come  for  those  five  members,  and  called  John  Pym  by  name.  Nobody  answered  him,  and  then  he  called  Denzil  Hollis  by  name.  There  was  silence  again,  and  then  he  asked  the  Speaker  of  the  House  where  those  five  members  were.  The  Speaker  was  at  a  loss,  as  he  knew  that  those  gentlemen  had  gone  away.  At  last  he  said  that  he  was  the  servant  of  that  House,  and  that  he  had  neither  eyes  to  see,  nor  tongue  to  speak,  anything  but  what  the  House  commanded  him.  The  King  was  enraged  with  his  bold  answer  and  replied  that  he  would  seek  them  himself,  for  they  had  committed  treason,  and  after  that  he  went  away.

*  *  *

When  the  King’s  plan  was  known,  the  five  members  had  gone  for  safety  to  a  house  in  Coleman-street,  in  the  City,  where  they  were  guarded  all  night;  and  indeed  the  whole  city  watched  in  arms  like  an  army.  The  King  was  frightened  at  what  he  had  done,  and  for  his  own  safety  he  left  the  royal  palace  at Whitehall,  and  went  away  with  his  Queen  and  children  to  Hampton  Court.

It  was  the  eleventh  of  May,  when  the  five  members  were  carried  in  triumph  to Westminster.  Londoners  came  into  the  streets  to  greet  them.

Mr.  Pym  informed  the  House  of  Commons  of  the  great  kindness  with  which  they  had  been  received  in  the  City.  Then  the  House  called  the  sheriffs  in  and  thanked  them,  and  requested  them  to  guard  the  House  of  Commons  every  day.  Then,  four  thousand  Buckinghamshire  men  came  on  horseback,  offering  their  services  as  a  guard  too,  and  bearing  a  petition  to  the  King,  complaining  of  the  injury  that  had  been  done  to  Mr.  Hampden,  who  was  much  beloved  and  honoured  in  their  county.

When  the  King  set  off  for  Hampton  Court,  the  gentlemen  and  soldiers  who  had  been  with  him  followed  him  out  of  town  as  far  as Kingston-upon-Thames.  Next  day,  .Lord

Digby  came  to  them  from  the  King  at  Hampton  Court  to  inform  them  that  the  King  accepted  their  protection.  This,  the  Parliament  said,  was  making  war  against  the  kingdom,  and  Lord  Digby  fled  abroad.  The  Parliament  then  immediately  got  hold  of  the  military  power  of  the  country,  well  knowing  that  the  King  was  already  trying  hard  to  use  it  against  them,  and  that  he  had  secretly  sent  the  Earl  of  Newcastle  to Hull,  to  secure  a  valuable  magazine  of  arms  and  gunpowder  that  was  there.

In  those  times,  every  county  had  its  own  magazines  of  arms  and  powder,  for  its  own  militia;  so,  the  Parliament  brought  in  a  bill  claiming  the  right  (which  up  to  this  time  had  belonged  to  the  King)  of  appointing  the  Lord  Lieutenants  of  counties,  who  commanded  these  trainbands.  These  commanders  were  also  to  have  all  the  forts,  castles,  and  garrisons  in  the  kingdom,  in  their  hands.  Naturally,  all  persons  appointed  had  the  confidence  of  the  Parliament.  The  Parliament  also  passed  a  law  depriving  the  Bishops  of  their  votes.

The  King  gave  his  assent  to  that  bill,  but  would  not  abandon  the  right  of  appointing  the  Lord  Lieutenants.  When  the  Earl  of  Pembroke  asked  him  whether  he  would  not  give  way  on  that  question  for  a  time,  he  said,  “By  God!  not  for  one  hour!”  and  upon  this  he  and  the  Parliament  went  to  war.

*  *  *

The  King’s  young  daughter  was  betrothed  to  the  Prince  of  Orange.  On  pretence  of  taking  her  to  the  country  of  her  future  husband,  the  Queen  was  already  got  safely  away  to Holland,  where  she  was  raising  an  army  on  the  King’s  side.  The  Lord  Admiral  being  sick,  the  House  of  Commons  now  named  the  Earl  of  Warwick  to  hold  his  place  for  a  year.  The  King  named  another  gentleman;  the  House  of  Commons  took  its  own  way,  and  the  Earl  of  Warwick  became  Lord  Admiral  without  the  King’s  consent.

The  Parliament  sent  orders  down  to  Hull  to  have  that  magazine  removed  to London.  The  King  went  down  to Hull  to  take  it  himself.  The  citizens  would  not  admit  him  into  the  town,  and  the  governor  would  not  admit  him  into  the  castle.  The  Parliament  resolved  that  they  would  issue  laws  themselves  without  the  King’s  consent.  These  laws  were  called  Ordinances.  The  King  protested  against  this,  and  gave  notice  that  these  ordinances  were  not  to  be  obeyed.

The  King,  accompanied  by  the  majority  of  the  House  of  Lords,  and  by  many  members  of  the  House  of  Commons,  established  himself  at York.  The  Chancellor  went  to  him  with  the  Great  Seal,  and  the  Parliament  made  a  new  Great  Seal.

The  Queen  sent  over  a  ship  full  of  arms  and  ammunition,  and  the  King  commanded  to  borrow  money  at  high  interest.  The  Parliament  raised  his  own  army,  and  the  people  willingly  aided  them  with  their  money,  jewellery,  and  trinkets  —  the  married  women  even  with  their  wedding-rings.  Every  member  of  Parliament  who  could  raise  a  troop  or  a  regiment  in  his  own  part  of  the  country,  dressed  it  according  to  his  taste  and  in  his  own  colours,  and  commanded  it.  Oliver  Cromwell  raised  a  troop  of  horse,  and  his  men  were,  perhaps,  the  best  soldiers  that  ever  were  seen.

In  some  of  their  proceedings,  this  famous  Parliament  violtated  the  laws  of  the  land,  but  the  King  had  been  doing  that  for  twelve  years.

The  great  civil  war  between  King  Charles  the  First  and  the  Long  Parliament  lasted  nearly  four  years.  It  was  a  sad  thing  that

Englishmen  should  once  more  be  fighting  against  Englishmen  on  English  ground.  But  it  is  some  consolation  to  know  that  on  both  sides  there  was  great  humanity,  forbearance,  and  honour.  The  soldiers  of  the  Parliament  were  far  more  remarkable  for  these  good  qualities  than  the  soldiers  of  the  King  (many  of  whom  fought  for  mere  pay  without  much  caring  for  the  cause),  but  those  of  the  nobility  and  gentry  who  were  on  the  King’s  side  were  so  brave,  and  so  faithful  to  him,  that  their  conduct  cannot  but  command  our  highest  admiration.

The  King  might  have  distinguished  some  of  these  gallant  spirits  by  giving  them  the  command  of  his  army.  Instead  of  that,  however,  true  to  his  old  high  notions  of  royalty,  he  entrusted  it  to  his  two  nephews,  Prince  Rupert  and  Prince  Maurice,  who  were  of  royal  blood  and  came  over  from  abroad  to  help  him.  These  were  great  fighters,  but  bad  generals.

The  general-in-chief  of  the  Parliamentary  army  was  the  Earl  of  Essex,  a  gentleman  of  honour  and  an  excellent  soldier.  A  little  while  before  the  war  broke  out,  there  had  been  some  rioting  at  Westminster  between  certain  odious  law  students  and  noisy  soldiers,  and  the  shopkeepers  and  their  apprentices,  and  the  general  people  in  the  streets.  At  that  time  the  King’s  friends  called  the  crowd  Roundheads,  because  the  apprentices  wore  short  hair.  The  crowd,  in  return,  called  their  opponents  Cavaliers.  These  two  words  now  began  to  be  used  to  distinguish  the  two  sides  in  the  civil  war.

*  *  *

The  war  broke  out  in  1642.  The  fust  battle  took  place  at  Edgehill  on  October,  23.  The  Royalist  cavalry  had  the  best  of  the  fighting  but  there  was  no  clear  winner.  After  that  battle,  the  King  marched  on London.  But London,  like  most  of  the  great  and  busy  cities,  was  against  the  King.  When  it  was  considered  necessary  to  fortify London,  all  ranks  of  people,  from  labouring  men  and  women,  up  to  lords  and  ladies,  worked  hard  together.  So  the  King  had  to  give  up  his  plan  to  capture  his  capital,  and  retreated  to Oxford.

There  were  local  battles  in  many  parts  of  the  country.  At  first  the  Royalists  did  better.  In  1643  they  besieged  and  captured  the  important  port  of Bristol,  and  they  controlled  most  of  the  north  and  west  of England.  But  they  still  did  not  get  near London.  Then,  in  1644,  a  Scottish  army  joined  in  on  Parliament’s  side.  That  summer  the  King’s  main  army  was  badly  beaten  at  Marston  Moor.  Oliver  Cromwell’s  cavalry,  the  Ironsides,  and  the  Scottish  infantry  won  that  battle  for  Parliament.

But  the  King  was  not  yet  defeated.  So  the  Parliament  appointed  new  efficient  commanders  and  reorganized  the  army.  The  New  Model  Army  was  created  to  finish  the  war.  In  1645,  at Naseby,  it  was  victorious.  Eleven  months  passed,  and  Charles  I  had  to  surrender  to  the  Scots  at Newark.

*  *  *

During  the  whole  of  this  war  the  people,  to  whom  it  was  very  expensive,  and  to  whom  it  was  made  the  more  distressing  by  almost  every  family  being  divided  —  some  of  its  members  attaching  themselves  to  one  side  and  some  to  the  other  —  were  most  anxious  for  peace.  So  were  some  of  the  best  men  in  each  cause.  As  soon  as  Cromwell  and  his  army  leaders  got

4          Зак.  №  376  hold  of  Charles  I,  they  started  to  discuss  treaties  of  peace  between  the  two  parties.  Unfortunately,  they  came  to  nothing.

In  all  these  negotiations,  and  in  all  his  difficulties,  the  King  showed  himself  at  his  best.  He  was  courageous,  cool,  self-possessed,  and  clever;  but  he  was  never  for  one  single  moment  to  be  trusted.  Some  of  the  historians  suppose  that  he  had  unhappily  promised  the  Queen  never  to  make  peace  without  her  consent,  and  that  this  must  often  be  taken  as  his  excuse.

However,  discussing  peace  treaty  with  the  Parliament,  the  King  started  plotting  against  it.  He  tried  to  enter  into  a  secret  treaty  with  the  Duke  of  Lorraine  for  a  foreign  army  of  ten  thousand  men.  After  that  plan  had  failed,  he  sent  his  friend,  the  Earl  of  Glamorgan,  to Ireland,  to  conclude  a  secret  treaty  with  the  Catholic  powers,  to  send  him  an  Irish  army  of  ten  thousand  men.  And,  when  this  treaty  was  discovered,  the  King  denied  his  part  in  that  business,  and  even  deserted  his  friend,  the  Earl.

At  last,  the  King  felt  that  if  he  would  like  to  escape  he  must  delay  no  longer.  So,  having  altered  the  cut  of  his  hair  and  beard,  he  dressed  up  like  a  servant  and  rode  unknown  to  the  Scottish  camp.  The  Scottish  men  had  been  invited  over  to  help  the  Parliamentary  army,  and  had  a  large  force  then  in England.  So  it  is  doubtful  what  he  exactly  meant  by  this  step.  HeJtpok  it,  anyhow,  and  delivered  himself  up  to  the  Earl  of  Leven,  the  Scottish  general-in-chief,  who  treated  him  as  an  honourable  prisoner.  Negotiations  between  the  Parliament  on  the  one  hand  and  the  Scottish  authorities  on  the  other,  as  to  what  should  be  done  with  him,  lasted  until  the  following  February.  Then  the  King  was  taken  to  one  of  his  own  houses,  called  Holmby  House,  in  Northamptonshire.

While  the  Civil  War  was  still  in  progress,  John  Pym  died,  and  was  buried  with  great  honour  in  Westminster  Abbey  —  not  with  greater  honour  than  he  deserved,  for  the  liberties  of  Englishmen  owe  a  mighty  debt  to  Pym  and  Hampden.  The  war  was  nearly  over  when  the  Earl  of  Essex  died.  He,  too,  was  buried  in  Westminster  Abbey.

When  the  Parliament  had  got  the  King  into  their  hands,  they  became  very  anxious  to  get  rid  of  their  army,  in  which  Oliver  Cromwell  had  already  got  great  power,  as  he  was  a  brave  man  and  professed  to  be  very  sincere  in  the  Scottish  sort  of  Puritan  religion  that  was  then  very  popular  among  the  soldiers.  They  were  as  much  opposed  to  the  Bishops  as  to  the  Pope  himself.

The  Parliament  could  not  be  sure  in  such  an  army,  and  proposed  to  disband  the  greater  part  of  it,  and  to  send  another  part  to  serve  in  Ireland  against  the  rebels,  and  to  keep  only  a  small  force  in England.  But  the  army  did  not  want  to  be  broken  up,  and  it  started  to  act  unexpectedly.

A  certain  cornet  Joice  arrived  at  Holmby  House  one  night,  attended  by  four  hundred  horsemen,  went  into  the  King’s  room  with  his  hat  in  one  hand  and  a  pistol  in  the  other,  and  told  the  King  that  he  had  come  to  take  him  away.  When  the  King  asked  the  cornet  what  authority  he  had  for  taking  him  away,  Joice  replied,  “The  authority  of  the  army.”  “Have  you  a  written  commission?”  said  the  King.  Joice,  pointing  to  his  four  hundred  men  on  horseback,  replied,  “That  is  my  commission.”  “  Well,”  said  the  King  smiling  as  if  he  were  pleased,  “I  have  never  read  such  a  commission  before.”  He  was  asked  where  he  would  like  to  live,  and  he  said  at Newmarket.  So,  to Newmarket  they  rode.

The  King  believed  the  army  to  be  his  friends.  He  said  so  to  general  Fairfax,  Oliver  Cromwell,  and  his  son-in-law  Ireton,  who  came  to  persuade  him  to  return  to  the  custody  of  the  Parliament.  He  preferred  to  remain  as  he  was.  And  when  the  army  moved  nearer  and  nearer  London  to  frighten  the  Parliament  into  yielding  to  their  demands,  they  took  the  King  with  them.  They  treated  him  more  respectfully  and  kindly  than  the  Parliament  had  done.  The  Parliament  had  only  allowed  him  to  ride  out  and  play  at  bowls.  The  army  allowed  him  to  be  attended  by  his  own  servants,  to  be  entertained  at  various  houses,  and  to  see  his  children  for  two  days.  Even  Oliver  Cromwell  was  friendly  towards  the  King  then.  Cromwell  had  been  present  when  the  King  received  his  children,  and  had  been  much  affected  by  the  scene.  He  saw  the  King  often,  he  frequently  walked  and  talked  with  him  in  the  long  galleries  and  pleasant  gardens  of  the  Palace  at  Hampton  Court,  where  he  was  brought  to.  And  in  all  this  Cromwell  risked  something  of  his  influence  with  the  army.  But  the  King  was  in  secret  hopes  of  help  from  the  Scottish  people;  and  the  moment  he  was  encouraged  to  join  them  he  began  to  be  cool  to  his  new  friends,  the  army.  At  the  very  time  when  he  was  promising  to  make  Cromwell  and  Ireton  noblemen,  if  they  would  help  him  up  to  his  old  height,  he  was  writing  to  the  Queen  that  he  meant  to  hang  them.  Having  known  about  that  letter,  Cromwell  learned  that  the  King  could  not  be  trusted.  Still,  even  after  that,  he  let  the  King  know  that  there  was  a  plot  with  a  certain  portion  of  the  army  to  seize  him.  He  might  sincerely  wanted  the  King  to  escape  abroad,  and  to  get  rid  of  him  without  more  trouble.

So  the  King  escaped  from  Hampton  Court  and  went  to  the  Isle  of  Wight.  There  he  waited  for  the  news  from Scotland.  But  the  army  raised  in  that  country  turned  out  to  be  too  small.  Although  it  was  helped  by  a  rising  of  the  Royalists  in  England  and  by  good  soldiers  from Ireland,  it  could  make  no  head  against  the  Parliamentary  army  under  such  men  as  Cromwell  and  Fairfax.  The  King’s  eldest  son,  the  Prince  of  Wales,  came  over  from  Holland  with  nineteen  ships  to  help  his  father;  but  nothing  came  of  his  voyage,  and  he  had  to  return  to Holland.

The  most  remarkable  event  of  this  second  civil  war  was  the  cruel  execution  by  the  Parliamentary  General,  of  Sir  Charles  Lucas  and  Sir  George  Lisle,  two  grand  Royalist  generals,  who  had  bravely  defended  Colchester  for  nearly  three  months.

*  *  *

The  Parliament,  after  being  fearfully  bullied  by  the  army  —  who  demanded  to  have  seven  members  whom  they  disliked  given  up  to  them  —  had  voted  that  they  would  have  nothing  more  to  do  with  the  King.  On  the  conclusion,  however,  of  this  second  civil  war  (which  did  not  last  more  than  six  months),  they  appointed  commissioners  to  treat  with  him.

The  King,  who  lived  in  a  private  house  at  Newport  in  the  Isle  of  Wight,  managed  his  own  part  of  the  negotiation  with  a  sense  that  was  admired  by  all  who  saw  him,  and  gave  up,  in  the  end,  all  that  was  asked  of  him.  Still,  when  his  best  friends  joined  the  commissioners  in  beseeching  him  to  yield  all  those  points  as  the  only  means  of  saving  himself  from  the  army,  he  was  plotting  to  escape  from  the  island.

Meanwhile  the  army,  resolved  to  defy  the  Parliament,  marched  up  to London.  The  Parliament  was  no  more  afraid  of  them,  and  voted  that  the  King’s  concessions  were  sufficient  ground  for  settling  the  peace  in  the  kingdom.  Upon  that,  Colonel  Rich  and  Colonel  Pride  came  to  the  House  of  Commons  with  their  regiments,  and  took  some  of  the  members  into  custody.  Cromwell  was  in  the  North,  at  the  head  of  his  men,  at  the  time,  but  when  he  came  home,  he  approved  of  what  had  been  done.

Having  imprisoned  some  members,  the  army  reduced  the  House  of  Commons  to  some  fifty  or  so.  These  soon  voted  that  it  was  treason  in  a  king  to  make  war  against  his  parliament  and  his  people,  and  sent  an  ordinance  up  to  the  House  of  Lords  for  the  King’s  being  tried  as  a  traitor.  The  House  of  Lords,  then  sixteen  in  number,  rejected  it  unanimously.  Then  the  Commons  proclaimed  themselves  the  supreme  government  of  the  country,  and  brought  the  King  to  trial.

The  King  had  been  taken  for  security  to  a  place  called  Hurst  Castle:  a  lonely  house  on  a  rock  in  the  sea,  connected  with  the  coast  of  Hampshire  by  a  rough  road  two  miles  long  at  low  water.  Then  he  was  removed  to Windsor.  At  last,  when  the  day  of  his  trial  was  appointed,  he  was  brought  up  to  St.  James’s  Palace  in London.

*  *  *

His  trial  began  on  Saturday,  the  twentieth  of  January,  1649.  The  House  of  Commons  had  settled  that  one  hundred  and  thirty-five  persons  should  form  the  Court,  and  these  were  taken  from  the  House  itself,  from  among  the  officers  of  the  army,  and  from  among  the  lawyers  and  citizens.  John  Bradshaw  was  appointed  president.  The  place  was  Westminster  Hall.  At  the  upper  end,  in  a  red  velvet  chair,  the  president  sat.  The  rest  of  the  Court  sat  on  side  benches.  They  were  all  wearing  their  hats.  The  King’s  seat  was  covered  with  velvet,  like  that  of  the  president,  and  was  opposite  to  it.

When  Charles  I  came  in,  he  looked  round  very  steadily  on  the  Court,  and  on  the  great  number  of  spectators,  and  then  sat  down.  At  the  very  beginning  of  the  trial  the  King  denied  the  authority  of  the  Court,  saying  that  there  could  be  no  parliament  without  a  House  of  Lords,  and  that  he  saw  no  House  of  Lords  there.  Also,  that  the  King  ought  to  be  there,  and  that  he  saw  no  King  in  the  King’s  right  place.  Bradshaw  replied,  that  the  Court  was  satisfied  with  its  authority,  and  that  its  authority  was  God’s  authority  and  the  kingdom’s.  He  then  adjourned  the  Court  to  the  following  Monday.  On  that  day,  the  trial  was  resumed,  and  went  on  all  the  week.  When  the  Saturday  came,  as  the  King  passed  forward  to  his  place  in  the  Hall,  some  soldiers  and  others  cried  for  “justice!”  and  execution  on  him.  That  day  Bradshaw  wore  a  red  robe,  instead  of  the  black  one  he  had  worn  before.  The  King  was  sentenced  to  death  that  day.  As  he  went  out,  one  solitary  soldier  said,  “God  bless  you,  Sir!”  For  this,  his  officer  struck  him.

Having  been  brought  to Whitehall,  the  King  sent  to  the  House  of  Commons,  saying  that  he  wished  he  might  be  allowed  to  see  his  darling  children  before  the  execution.  It  was  granted.  On  Monday  he  was  taken  back  to  St.  James’s,  and  his  two  children  then  in England,  the  Princess  Elizabeth  thirteen  years  old,  and  the  Duke  of  Gloucester  nine  years  old,  were  brought  to  take  leave  of  him.  It  was  a  sad  and  touching  scene,  when  he  kissed  his  poor  children,  and  gave  them  tender  messages  to  their  mother,  and  told  them  that  he  died  “for  the  laws  and  liberties  of  the  land”.

There  were  ambassadors  from  Holland  that  day,  to  intercede  for  the  unhappy  King;  but  they  got  no  answer.  The  Scottish  Commissioners  interceded  too;  so  did  the  Prince  of

Wales,  by  a  letter  in  which  he  offered  as  the  next  heir  to  the  throne,  to  accept  any  conditions  from  the  Parliament;  so  did  the  Queen.  But  their  efforts  were  lost,  and  the  warrant  for  the  execution  was  signed  that  very  day.

*  *  *

On  the  thirtieth  of  January,  Charles  I  rose  two  hours  before  day,  and  dressed  himself  carefully.  He  seemed  to  be  very  calm  and  untroubled  by  the  knowledge  that  it  was  his  last  morning  on  earth.  He  put  on  two  shirts  not  to  tremble  with  the  cold,  and  had  his  hair  very  carefully  combed.  At  ten  o’clock  he  was  told  it  was  time  to  go  to Whitehall.

When  the  King  came  to Whitehall,  he  was  taken  to  his  own  bedroom,  where  he  was  to  have  his  last  breakfast.  But  he  would  eat  nothing,  as  he  had  taken  the  Sacrament;  but,  at  about  the  time  when  the  church  bells  struck  twelve  at  noon  (for  he  had  to  wait  till  the  scaffold  was  ready),  he  took  the  advice  of  the  good  Bishop  Juxton  who  was  with  him,  and  ate  a  little  bread  and  drank  a  glass  of  wine.  Soon  after  he  had  taken  this  refreshment,  Colonel  Hacker  came  to  the  chamber  with  the  warrant  in  his  hand,  and  called  for  Charles  Stuart.

And  then,  through  the  long  gallery  of  Whitehall  Palace,  which  he  had  often  seen  light  and  gay  and  merry  and  crowded,  in  very  different  times,  the  fallen  King  passed  along,  until  he  came  to  the  centre  window  of  the  Banqueting  House,  through  which  he  emerged  upon  the  scaffold,  which  was  covered  with  black.  He  looked  at  the  two  executioners,  who  were  dressed  in  black  and  masked;  he  looked  at  the  troops  of  soldiers  on  horseback  and  on  foot,  and  all  looked  up  at  him  in  silence;  he  looked  at  numerous  spectators  gazing  upon  ton;  he  looked  at  his  old  Palace  of  St.  James’s;  and  he  looked  at  the  block.  He  seemed  a  little  troubled  to  find  that  it  was  so  low,  and  asked  if  there  were  no  place  higher.

He  was  not  at  all  afraid  to  die.  He  put  his  hair  up,  under  a  white  satin  cap  which  the  bishop  had  carried,  and  said,  ”I  have  a  good  cause  and  a  gracious  God  on  my  side.”  The  bishop  told  him  that  he  had  but  one  stage  more  to  travel  in  this  weary  world,  and  that,  though  it  was  a  turbulent  and  troublesome  stage,  it  was  a  short  one.  Then  the  King  kneeled  down,  laid  his  head  on  the  block,  and  was  instantly  killed.  One  universal  groan  broke  from  the  crowd;  and  the  soldiers,  who  had  sat  on  their  horses  and  stood  immovable  as  statues,  were  of  a  sudden  all  in  motion,  clearing  the  streets.

Thus,  in  the  forty-ninth  year  of  his  age,  Charles  the  First  perished.

« ||| »

Tagged as:

Comments are closed.