The History of England

from Celts through 20th century


Category: 17th century

Before  sunset  on  the  memorable  day  on  which  King  Charles  the  First  was  executed,  the  House  of  Commons  passed  an  act  declaring  it  treason  to  proclaim  the  Prince  of  Wales  —  or  anybody  else  — King  of England.  Soon  after­wards,  it  declared  that  the  House  of  Lords  was  useless  and  dangerous,  and  ought  to  be  abolished.  Some  famous  Royalists  were  captured,  and  the  Duke  of  Hamilton, Lord  Holland,  and  Lord  Capel  were  beheaded.

A  Council  of  State  was  appointed  to  govern  the  country.  It  consisted  of  forty-one  members,  of  whom  five  were  peers.  Bradshaw  was  made  president.  The  House  of  Commons  also  readmitted  members  who  had  opposed  the  King’s  death,  and  made  up  its  numbers  to  about  a  hundred  and  fifty.

But,  it  still  had  an  army  of  more  than  forty  thousand  men  to  deal  with,  and  it  was  a  very  hard  task  to  manage  them.  Before  the  King’s  execution,  the  army  had  appointed  some  of  its  officers  to  remonstrate  between  them  and  the  Parliament;  and  now  the  common  soldiers  began  to  take  that  office  upon  themselves.  The  regiments  under  orders  for  Ireland  mutinied;  one  troop  of  horse  in  the  city  of  London  refused  to  obey  orders.  For  this,  the  ringleader  was  shot:  which  did  not  mend  the  matter,  for,  both  his  comrades  and  the  people  made  a  public  funeral  for  him.  Oliver  was  the  only  man  to  deal  with  such  difficulties  as  these,  and  he  soon  cut  them  short  by  bursting  at  midnight  into  the  town  of  Burford,  near  Salisbury,  where  the  mutineers  were  sheltered,  taking  four  hundred  of  them  prisoners,  and  shooting  a  number  of  them  by  sentence  of  court-martial.  The  soldiers  soon  found,  as  all  men  did,  that  Oliver  was  not  a  man  to  be  trifled  with.  And  there  was  an  end  of  the  mutiny.

*  *  *

The  Scottish  Parliament  did  not  know  Oliver  yet;  so,  on  hearing  of  the  King’s  execution,  it  proclaimed  the  Prince  of  Wales  King  Charles  the  Second,  on  condition  of  his  respecting  the  Solemn  League  and  Covenant.  Charles  was  abroad  at  that  time,  and  so  was  Montrose,  from  whose  help  he  had  hopes  enough  to  keep  him  holding  on  and  off  with  commissioners  from Scotland,  just  as  his  father  might  have  done.  These  hopes  were  soon  at  an  end;  for,  Montrose,  having  raised  a  few  hundred  exiles  in Germany,  and  landed  with  them  in Scotland,  found  that  the  people  there,  instead  of  joining  him,  deserted  the  country  at  his  approach.  He  was  soon  taken  prisoner  and  carried  to  Edinburgh  There  he  was  sentenced  by  the  Parliament  to  be  hanged  on  a  gallows  thirty  feet  high,  to  have  his  head  set  on  a  spike  in Edinburgh,  and  his  limbs  distributed  in  other  places,  acfcording  to  the  old  barbarous  manner.  He  said  he  had  always  acted  under  the  Royal  orders,  and  only  wished  he  had  limbs  enough  to  be  distributed  through  Christendom,  that  it  might  be  the  more  widely  known  how  loyal  he  had  been.  He  went  to  the  scaffold  in  a  bright  and  brilliant  dress,  and  made  a  bold  end  at  thirty-  eight  years  of  age.  Charles  soon  abandoned  his  memory,  and  denied  that  he  had  ever  given  him  orders  to  rise  in  his  behalf.

Oliver  had  been  appointed  by  the  Parliament  to  command  the  army  in Ireland,  where  he  took  a  terrible  vengeance  for  the  sanguinary  rebellion,  and  made  tremendous  havoc.

But,  Charles  having  got  over  to  Scotland  where  the  men  of  the  Solemn  League  and  Covenant  made  him  very  weary  with  long  sermons  and  grim  Sundays,  the  Parliament  wanted  Oliver  for Scotland.  Oliver  left  Ireton,  his  son-in-low  as  general  in  Ireland  (he  died  there  afterwards),  and  Ireton  laid  the  country  at  the  feet  of  the  Parliament.

Oliver  came  home,  and  was  made  Commander  of  all  the  Forces  of  the  Commonwealth  of England,  and  in  three  days  he  went  away  with  sixteen  thousand  soldiers  to  fight  the  Scottish  men.  The  Scottish  men  understood  that  their  troops  would  be  beaten  in  an  open  fight.  Therefore  they  said,  “If  we  live  quiet  in  our  trenches  in  Edinburgh  here,  and  if  all  the  farmers  come  into  the  town  and  desert  the  country,  the  Ironsides  will  be  driven  out  by  iron  hunger  and  be  forced  to  go  away”.  This  was  the  wisest  plan,  but  as  the  Scottish  clergy  would  interfere  with  what  they  knew  nothing  about,  and  would  preach  long  sermons  exhorting  the  soldiers  to  come  out  and  fight,  the  soldiers  got  it  in  their  heads  that  they  must  come  out  and  fight.  So  they  came  out  of  their  safe  position.  Oliver  fell  upon  them  instantly,  and  killed  three  thousand,  .nd  took  ten  thousand  prisoners.

*  *  *

To  gratify  the  Scottish  Parliament,  and  preserve  their  iavour,  Charles  had  signed  a  declaration  they  laid  before  him,  reproaching  the  memory  of  his  father  and  mother,  and  representing  himself  as  a  most  religious  Prince,  to  whom  the  Solemn  League  and  Covenant  was  as  dear  as  life.

On  the  first  of  January,  1651,  the  Scottish  people  crowned  him  at Scone.  He  immediately  took  the  chief  command  of  an  army  of  twenty  thousand  men,  and  marched  to Stirling.  His  hopes  were  heightened  by  Oliver  being  ill,  but

Oliver  scrambled  out  of  bed  in  no  time,  and  went  to  work  with  such  energy  that  he  got  behind  the  Royalist  army  and  cut  it  off  from  all  communication  with Scotland.  There  was  nothing  for  it  then,  but  to  go  on  to England.  So  it  went  on  as  far  as Worcester,  where  the  mayor  and  some  of  the  gentry  proclaimed  King  Charles  the  Second  straightway.  His  proclamation,  however,  was  of  little  use  to  him,  for  very  few  Royalists  appeared;  and,  on  the  very  same  day,  two  people  were  publicly  beheaded  on  Tower  Hill  for  supporting  his  cause.  Oliver  came  up  to  Worcester  too,  and  he  and  his  Ironsides  completely  beat  the  Scottish  men,  and  destroyed  the  Royalist  army.  It  took  them  only  five  hours  to  do  that.

*  *  *

The  escape  of  Charles  after  this  battle  of  Worcester  did  him  good  service  long  afterwards,  for  it  induced  many  of  the  generous  English  people  to  take  a  romantic  interest  in  him,  and  to  think  much  better  of  him  than  he  ever  deserved.  He  fled  in  the  night,  with  not  more  than  sixty  followers,  to  the  house  of  a  Catholic  lady  in  Staffordshire.  There,  for  his  greater  safety,  the  whole  sixty  left  him.  He  cropped  his  hair,  stained  his  face  and  hands  brown  as  if  they  were  sunburnt,  put  on  the  clothes  of  a  labouring  countryman,  and  went  out  in  the  morning  with  his  axe  in  his  hand,  accompanied  by  four  wood-cutters  who  were  brothers,  and  another  man  who  was  their  brother-in-law.  These  good  fellows  made  a  bed  for  him  under  a  tree,  as  the  weather  was  very  bad;  and  the  wife  of  one  of  them  brought  him  food  to  eat;  and  the  old  mother  of  the  four  brothers  came  and  fell  down  on  her  knees  before  him  in  the  wood,  and  thanked  God  that  her  sons  were  engaged  in  saving  his  life.  At  night,  he  came  out  of  the  forest  and  went  on  to  another  house  which  was  near  the  river  Severn,  with  the  intention  of  passing  into  Wales;  but  the  place  swarmed  with  soldiers,  and  the  bridges  were  guarded,  and  all  the  boats  were  made  fast.  So,  after  lying  in  a  hayloft  covered  over  with  hay,  for  some  time,  he  came  out  of  his  place,  attended  by  Colonel  Careless,  a  Catholic  gentleman  who  had  met  him  there,  and  with  whom  he  lay  hid,  all  next  day,  up  in  the  shady  branches  of  a  fine  old  oak.  It  was  lucky  for  the  King  that  it  was  September,  and  that  the  leaves  had  not  begun  to  fall,  since  he  could  catch  glimpses  of  the  soldiers  riding  about  below,  and  could  hear  what  they  spoke  about.

After  that,  he  walked  and  walked  until  his  feet  were  all  blistered.  At  Bentley,  a  Miss  Lane,  a  Protestant  lady,  had  obtained  a  pass  to  be  allowed  to  ride  through  the  guards  to  see  a  relation  of  hers  near Bristol.  Disguised  as  a  servant,  Charles  rode  in  the  saddle  before  this  young  lady  to  the  house  of  Sir  John  Winter,  while  Lord  Wilmot  rode  there  like  a  plain  country  gentleman,  with  dogs  at  his  heels.  It  happened  that  Sir  John  Winter’s  butler  had  been  servant  in  Richmond  Palace,  and  knew  Charles  the-moment  he  set  eyes  upon  him.  But,  the  butler  was  faithful  and  kept  the  secret.  As  no  ship  could  be  found  to  carry  him  abroad,  it  was  planned  that  he  should  go  —  still  travelling  with  Miss  Lane  as  her  servant  —  to  another  house,  at  Trent  near  Sherborne  in  Dorsetshire;  and  then  Miss  Lane  and  her  cousin,  who  had  gone  on  horseback  beside  her  all  the  way,  went  home.

*  *  *

When  Charles  was  safe  at Trent,  a  ship  was  hired  to  take  two  gentlemen  to France.  In  the  evening  of  the  same  day,  the  King  —  now  riding  as  servant  before  another  young  lady  —  set  off  for  a  publichouse,  where  the  captain  of  the  vessel  was  to  meet  him  and  take  him  on  board.  But  the  captain’s  wife,  being  afraid  of  her  husband  getting  into  trouble,  locked  him  up  and  would  not  let  him  sail.  Then  they  went  away  to  look  for  another  ship.  Cornming  to  the  next  inn  on  their  way,  they  found  the  stable-yard  full  of  soldiers  who  were  on  the  look­out  for  Charles,  and  who  talked  about  him  while  they  drank.  Charles  had  such  presence  of  mind,  that  he  led  the  horses  of  his  party  through  the  yard  as  any  other  sergeant  might  have  done.  As  he  went  along,  he  met  a  half-tipsy  ostler,  who  rubbed  his  eyes  and  said  to  him,  “Why,  I  was  formerly  servant  to  Mr.  Potter  at Exeter,  and  surely  I  have  sometimes  seen  you  there,  young  man!”  He  certainly  had,  for  Charles  had  lodged  there.  His  ready  answer  was,  “Ah,  I  did  live  with  him  once;

but  I  have  no  time  to  talk  now.  We’ll  have  a  pot  of  beer  together  when  I  come  back.”

From  this  dangerous  place  he  returned  to Trent.  Then  he  escaped  to  Heale,  near Salisbury;  where,  in  the  house  of  a  widow  lady,  he  was  hiding  for  five  days,  until  the  ship  was  found  to  carry  him  to France.

On  the  night  of  the  fifteenth  of  October,  accompanied  by  two  colonels,  the  King  rode  to Brighton,  then  a  little  fishing  village,  to  give  the  captain  of  the  ship  a  supper  before  going  on  board.  But  so  many  people  knew  him,  that  this  captain  knew  him  too,  and  not  only  he,  but  the  landlord  and  landlady  also.  Before  he  went  away,  the  landlord  came  behind  his  chair,  kissed  his  hand,  and  said  he  hoped  to  live  to  be  a  lord  and  to  see  his  wife  a  lady;  at  which  Charles  laughed.  They  had  had  a  good  supper  by  this  time,  and  plenty  of  smoking  and  drinking.  It  was  agreed  that  Charles  would  address  the  sailors  and  say  he  was  a  gentleman  in  debt  who  was  running  away  from  his  creditors,  and  that  he  hoped  they  would  join  him  in  persuading  the  captain  to  put  him  ashore  in France.  As  the  King  acted  his  part  very  well  indeed,  and  gave  the  sailors  twenty  shillings  to  drink,  they  begged  the  captain  to  do  what  he  asked,  and  Charles  got  safe  to Normandy.

*  *  *

Ireland  was  now  subdued,  and  Scotland  was  also  kept  quiet  by  plenty  of  forts  and  soldiers  put  there  by  Cromwell.  But  the  trouble  with  the  Dutch  emerged.  In  the  spring  of  the  year  1651  the  Dutch  sent  a  fleet  into  the  Downs  under  their  Admiral  Van  Tromp,  to  call  upon  the  bold  English  Admiral  Blake  (who  was  there  with  half  as  many  ships  as  the  Dutch).

Blake  beat  off  Van  Tromp,  who,  in  the  autumn,  came  back  again  with  seventy  ships,  and  challenged  the  bold  English  admiral  to  fight  him  again.  Blake  fought  him  all  day;  but,  finding  that  the  Dutch  were  too  many  for  him  (they  were  double  as  strong),  he  got  quietly  off  at  night.  Upon  this  Van  Tromp  stalled  to  go  to  and  fro  about  the  Channel,  between  the  North  Foreland  and  the  Isle  of  Wight,  with  a  great  Dutch  broom  tied  to  his  masthead,  as  a  sign  that  he  could  and  would  sweep  the  English  off  the  sea.  Within  three  months,  Blake  lowered  his  tone  though,  and  his  broom  too;  for,  he  and  two  other  bold  commanders,  Dean  and  Monk,  fought  him  three  whole  days,  took  twenty-three  of  his  ships,  and  shivered  his  broom  to  pieces.

Then  the  army  began  to  complain  to  the  Parliament  that  they  were  not  governing  the  nation  properly,  and  that  they  could  do  it  better  themselves.  Oliver,  who  had  now  made  up  his  mind  to  be  the  head  of  the  state,  supported  them  in  this,  and  called  a  meeting  of  officers  and  his  own  Parliamentary  friends  to  consider  the  best  way  of  getting  rid  of  the  Parliament.

After  that  Oliver  went  down  to  the  House  in  his  usual  plain  black  dress,  but  with  an  unusual  party  of  soldiers  behind  him.  He  left  his  soldiers  in  the  lobby,  and  then  went  in  and  sat  down.  Presently  he  got  up,  and  made  a  speech,  telling  them  that  the  Lord  had  done  with  them.  Having  finished  it,  he  gave  a  signal  to  his  soldiers,  and  they  entered  the  hall.  “This  is  not  honest,”  said  Sir  Harry  Vane,  one  of  the  members.  “Sir  Harry  Vane!”  cried  Cromwell,  “O,  Sir  Harry  Vane!  The  Lord  deliver  me  from  Sir  Harry  Vane!”  Then  he  pointed  out  members  one  by  one,  and  said  this  man  was  a  drunkard,  and  that  man  a  dissipated  fellow,  and  that  man  a  liar,  and  so  on.  Then  he  told  the  guard  to  clear  the  House.

Cromwell  formed  a  new  Council  of  State  after  this  extraordinary  proceeding,  and  got  a  new  Parliament.  As  it  soon  appeared  that  it  was  not  going  to  put  Oliver  in  the  first  place,  he  cleared  off  that  Parliament,  too.  After  that  the  council  of  officers  decided  that  he  must  be  made  the  supreme  authority  of  the  kingdom,  under  the  title  of  the  Lord  Protector  of  the  Commonwealth.

So,  on  the  sixteenth  of  December,  1653,  a  great  procession  was  formed  at  Oliver’s  door,  and  he  came  out  in  a  black  velvet  suit  and  a  big  pair  of  boots,  and  got  into  his  coach  and  went  down  to  Westminster,  attended  by  the  judges,  and  the  Lord  Mayor,  and  the  aldermen,  and  all  the  other  great  and  wonderful  personages  of  the  country.  There,  in  the  Court  of  Chancery,  he  publicly  accepted  the  office  of

Lord  Protector.  Then  he  was  sworn,  and  the  City  sword  and  the  seal  were  handed  to  him  as  they  are  usually  handed  to  Kings  and Queens.

Lord  Protector  —  whom  the  people  long  called  Old  Noll  —  had  signed  a  paper  called  “The  Instrument”,  promising  to  summon  a  Parliament,  consisting  of  between  four  and  five  hundred  members,  in  the  election  of  which  neither  the  Royalists  nor  the  Catholics  were  to  have  any  share.  He  had  also  promised  not  to  dissolve  this  Parliament  without  its  own  consent  until  it  had  sat  five  months.

When  this  Parliament  met,  Oliver  made  a  speech  to  them.  He  spoke  for  three  hours,  advising  them  what  to  do  for  the  happiness  of  the  country.  Then  he  dismissed  them  to  go  to  work  and  went  to  work  himself.

There  was  not  at  that  time  in  England  a  man  so  able  to  govern  the  country  as  Oliver  Cromwell.  He  ruled  with  a  strong  hand,  and  levied  a  very  heavy  tax  on  the  Royalists,  but  he  ruled  wisely.  He  caused England  to  be  respected  abroad.  He  sent  Admiral  Blake  to  the  Mediterranean  Sea,  to  make  the  Duke  of  Tuscany  pay  sixty  thousand  pounds  for  injuries  he  had  done  to  British  merchants.  He  further  sent  his  fleet  to Algiers, Tunis,  and Tripoli,  to  have  every  English  ship  and  every  English  man  delivered  up  to  him  that  had  been  taken  by  pirates  in  those  parts.  All  this  was  gloriously  done.

These  were  not  all  his  foreign  triumphs.  He  sent  a  fleet  to  sea  against  the  Dutch,  and  the  Dutch  gave  in,  and  peace  was  made.  Then  Oliver  resolved  not  to  bear  the  domination  of  Spain  in  South  America.  He  told  the  Spanish  ambassador  that  English  ships  must  be  free  to  go  wherever  they  would,  and  that  English  merchants  must  not  be  thrown  into  the  Spanish  prisons  of  the  Inquisition.  To  this  the  Spanish  ambassador  replied  that  the  gold  and  silver  country,  and  the  Holy  Inquisition  were  his  King’s  two  eyes,  neither  of  which  he  could  submit  to  have  put  out.  Very  well,  said  Oliver,  then  he  was  afraid  he  (Oliver)  must  damage  those  two  eyes  directly.

So,  another  fleet  was  despatched  for Hispaniola;  where,  however,  the  Spaniards  got  the  better  of  the  fight.  The  fleet  came  home  again,  after  taking  Jamaica  on  the  way.  Cromwell,  indignant  with  its  commanders,  put  them  into  prison.  He  declared  war  against Spain,  and  made  a  treaty  with France.  In  accordance  with  that  document  France  was  not  to  shelter  the  King  and  his  brother  the  Duke  of  York  any  longer.  Then,  Cromwell  sent  a  fleet  abroad  under  bold  Admiral  Blake,  which  sunk  four  Spanish  ships,  and  took  two  more,  laden  with  silver  to  the  value  of  two  million  of  pounds.

After  this  victory,  Admiral  Blake  sailed  away  to  the  port  of  Santa  Cruz  to  cut  off  the  Spanish  treasure-ships  coming  from Mexico.  There,  he  found  them,  ten  in  number,  with  seven  others  to  take  care  of  them,  and  a  big  castle,  and  seven  batteries.  Blake  cared  no  more  for  great  guns  than  for  pop­guns.  He  dashed  into  the  harbour,  captured  and  burnt  all  the  ships.  This  was  the  last  triumph  of  this  great  commander,  who  died,  as  his  successful  ship  was  coming  into  Plymouth  Harbour,  and  was  buried  in  Westminster  Abbey.

There  were  plots  enough  against  Oliver  among  the  frantic  religionists,  and  among  the  disappointed  Republicans.  He  had  a  difficult  game  to  play,  for  the  Royalists  were  always  ready  to  side  with  either  party  against  him.  Charles  was  ready  to  plot  with  anyone  against  his  life;  although  there  is  reason  to  suppose  that  he  would  willingly  have  married  one  of  his  daughters,  if  Oliver  would  have  had  such  a  son-in-law.

There  had  been  very  serious  plots  between  the  Royalists  and  Republicans,  and  an  actual  rising  of  them  in England,  when  they  burst  into  the  city  of Salisbury.  But  Oliver  soon  put  this  revolt  down.  He  seemed  to  have  eyes  and  ears  everywhere,  and  possessed  such  sources  of  information  as  his  enemies  little  dreamed  of.  For  example,  Sir  Richard  Willis,  who  was  in  the  closest  and  most  secret  confidence  of  Charles,  also  supplied  information  to  Cromwell.  He  had  two  hundred  a  year  for  it.

Many  people  conspired  to  murder  Cromwell,  but  all  the  plots  were  disclosed.  A  few  of  the  plotters  Oliver  caused  to  be beheaded,  a  few  more  to  be  hanged,  and  many  more  to  be  sent  as  slaves  to  the  West  Indies.

One  of  Oliver’s  friends,  in  sending  him  a  present  of  six  fine  coach-horses,  was  very  near  doing  more  to  please  the  Royalists  than  all  the  plotters  put  together.  One  day,  Oliver  went  with  his  coach,  drawn  by  these  six  horses,  into  Hyde  Park,  to  dine  with  his  secretary  and  some  of  his  other  gentlemen  under  the  trees  there.  After  dinner  he  decided  to  put  his  friends  inside  and  to  drive  them  home.  But  the  six  fine  horses  went  off  at  a  gallop,  and  Oliver  fell  upon  the  coach-  pole  and  narrowly  escaped.  He  was  dragged  some  distance  by  the  foot,  until  his  foot  came  out  of  the  shoe,  and  then  he  came  safely  to  the  ground.

*  *  *

The  rest  of  the  history  of  the  Protectorate  of  Oliver  Cromwell  is  a  history  of  his  Parliaments.  He  was  not  pleased  with  his  first  parliament.  So  he  waited  until  the  five  months  were  out,  and  then  dissolved  it.  The  next  was  better  suited  to  his  views;  and  from  that  he  desired  to  get  the  title  of  King.  He  wished  to  become  King  himself,  and  to  leave  the  succession  to  that  title  in  his  family.  But  he  did  not  dare  to  take  the  title  of  King,  as  there  was  strong  opposition  of  the  army  to  that.

It  was  the  month  of  August,  1658,  when  Oliver  Cromwell’s  favourite  daughter,  Elizabeth  Claypole  (who  had  lately  lost  her  youngest  son)  lay  very  ill,  and  his  mind  was  greatly  troubled,  because  he  loved  her  dearly.  Another  of  his  daughters  was  married  to  Lord  Falconberg,  another  to  the  grandson  of  the  Earl  of  Warwick,  and  he  had  made  his  son  Richard  one  of  the  members  of  the  Upper  House.  He  was  very  kind  and  loving  to  them  all,  being  a  good  father  and  a  good  husband;  but  he  loved  this  daughter  the  best  of  the  family,  and  went  down  to  Hampton  Court  to  see  her,  and  stayed  with  her  until  she  died.

Although  his  religion  had  been  of  a  gloomy  kind,  Cromwell  had  been  a  cheerful  man.  He  had  been  fond  of  music  in  his  home,  and  had  kept  open  table  once  a  week  for  all  officers  of  the  army  not  below  the  rank  of  captain.  He  encouraged  men  of  genius  and  learning,  and  loved  to  have  them  about  him.  John  Milton,  a  famous  poet,  was  one  of  his  great  friends.

But  Cromwell  had  lived  in  busy  times,  had  borne  the  weight  of  heavy  State  affairs,  and  had  often  gone  in  fear  of  his  life.  He  was  ill  of  the  gout  and  ague,  and  when  the  death  of  his  beloved  child  came  upon  him  in  addition,  he  sank,  never  to  raise  his  head  again.  He  told  his  physicians  on  the  twenty-  fourth  of  August  that  the  Lord  had  assured  him  that  he  was  not  to  die  in  that  illness,  and  that  he  would  certainly  get  better.  This  was  only  his  sick  fancy,  for  on  the  third  of  September  he  died,  in  the  sixtieth  year  of  his  age.  The  whole  country  lamented  his  death.

He  had  appointed  his  son  Richard  to  succeed  him,  and  Richard  became  Lord  Protector.  He  was  an  amiable  country  gentleman,  but  had  none  of  his  father’s  great  talents,  and  was  quite  unfit  for  such  a  post.  Richard’s  Protectorate,  which  only  lasted  a  year  and  a  half,  is  a  history  of  quarrels  between  the  officers  of  the  army  and  the  Parliament,  and  between  the  officers  among  themselves;  and  of  a  growing  discontent  among  the  people,  who  had  too  many  long  sermons  and  too  few  amusements,  and  wanted  a  change.

At  last,  General  Monk  got  the  army  into  his  own  hands,  and  declared  for  the  King’s  cause.  He  did  not  do  this  openly,  but,  in  his  place  in  the  House  of  Commons,  as  one  of  the  members  for  Devonshire,  strongly  advocated  the  proposals  of  one  Sir  John  Greenville,  who  came  to  the  House  with  a  letter  from  Charles,  dated  from Breda,  and  with  whom  he  had  previously  been  in  secret  communication.

There  had  been  plots  and  counterplots,  and  risings  of  the  Royalists  that  were  made  too  soon.  And  there  was  nobody  to  head  the  country,  so  it  was  readily  agreed  to  welcome  Charles  Stuart.

The  people  began  to  drink  the  King’s  health  in  the  open  streets,  and  everybody  rejoiced.  Prayers  for  the  Stuarts  were  put  up  in  all  the  churches.  Commissioners  were  sent  to  Holland  to  invite  the  King  home,  and  Monk  went  to Dover,  to  kneel  down  before  him  as  he  landed.  Charles  kissed  and  embraced  Monk,  made  him  ride  in  the  coach  with  himself  and  his  brothers,  and  came  to  London  on  the  twenty-ninth  of  May  (his  birthday),  in  the  year  1660.

« ||| »

Tagged as:

Comments are closed.