The History of England

from Celts through 20th century


Category: 17th century

Unlike  his  brother  Charles  II,  King  James  II  was  a  very  disagreeable  man.  The  only  object  of  his  short  reign  was  to  restore  the  Catholic  religion  in England,  which  made  his  career  come  to  a  close  very  soon.  But  at  first  people  little  supposed  that  the  King  had  formed  a  secret  council  for  Catholic  affairs,  of  which  a  Jesuit,  called  Father  Petre,  was  one  of  the  chief  members.

The  King  of  France  hoped  that  James  would  achieve  his  object,  and  granted  him  five  hundred  thousand  livres.  James  pocketed  the  money  greedily,  making  some  show  of  being  independent  of  the  French  sovereign.  The  Parliament  also  granted  James  a  large  sum  of  money,  so  the  new  King  began  his  reign  with  a  belief  that  he  could  do  what  he  pleased.

A  fortnight  after  the  coronation,  Titus  Oates  was  tried  for  perjury.  He  was  fined  very  heavily,  and  had  to  stand  twice  in  the  pillory,  to  be  whipped  without  merey,  and  to  stand  in  the  pillory  five  times  a  year  as  long  as  he  lived.  This  fearful  sentence  was  actually  inflicted  on  the  rascal.  Oates  was  so  strong  a  villain  that  he  did  not  die,  but  lived  to  be  afterwards  pardoned  and  rewarded.

As  soon  as  James  was  on  the  throne,  Argyle  and  Monmouth  went  from  Brussels  to Rotterdam,  and  attended  a  meeting  of  Scottish  exiles  held  there,  to  prepare  a  rising  in England.  It  was  agreed  that  Argyle  should  effect  a  landing  in Scotland,  and  Monmouth  in England.

Argyle  was  the  first  to  act.  But  the  Government  became  aware  of  his  intention,,  and  was  able  to  act  against  him.  As  Argyle  was  moving  towards  Glasgow  with  his  small  force,  he  was  betrayed  by  some  of  his  followers,  taken,  and  carried,  with  his  hands  tied  behind  his  back,  to  Edinburgh  Castle.  James  ordered  him  to  be  executed  within  three  days.  He  was  beheaded,  and  his  head  was  set  upon  the  top  of  Edinburgh  Jail.

Five  or  six  weeks  later  the  Duke  of  Monmouth  landed,  in Dorset.  He  set  up  his  standard  in  the  market-place,  and  proclaimed  the  King  a  tyrant,  and  a  Popish  usurper,  charging  him  with  all  possible  crimes.  He  even  accused  his  uncle  of  setting  fire  to London,  and  poisoning  the  late  King.  Having  raised  some  four  thousand  men  by  these  means,  he  marched  on  to Taunton,  where  there  were  many  Protestants  who  were  strongly  opposed  to  the  Catholics.  Here,  both  the  rich  and  poor  turned  out  to  receive  him,  ladies  waved  a  welcome  to  him  from  all  the  windows  as  he  passed  along  the  streets,  and  flowers  were  strewn  in  his  way.  Twenty  young  ladies  came  forward,  in  their  best  clothes,  and  gave  him  a  Bible  ornamented  with  their  own  fair  hands,  together  with  other  presents.

Encouraged  by  this  homage,  Monmouth  proclaimed  himself  King,  and  went  on  to Bridgewater.  But,  here  the  Government  troops  were  close  at  hand,  and  he  was  so  dispirited  at  finding  that  he  made  but  few  powerful  friends  after  all,  that  it  was  a  question  whether  he  should  disband  his  army  and  fly  to  the  Continent.  It  was  resolved  to  make  a  night  attack  on  the  King’s  army.  The  horsemen  were  commanded  by  Lord  Grey,  who  was  not  a  brave  man.  He  gave  up  the  battle  almost  at  the  first  obstacle,  and  although  the  poor  countrymen,  who  had  turned  out  for  Monmouth,

fought  bravely,  they  were  soon  dispersed  by  the  trained  soldiers,  and  fled  in  all  directions.

The  Duke  of  Monmouth  also  fled,  but  the  unlucky  Lord  Grey  was  taken  early  next  day,  and  then  another  of  the  party  was  taken,  who  had  confessed  that  he  had  parted  from  the  Duke  only  four  hours  before.  Strict  search  was  made,  and  Monmouth  was  found  disguised  as  a  peasant,  with  a  few  peas  in  his  pocket  which  he  had  gathered  in  the  fields  to  eat.  He  was  completely  broken.  He  wrote  a  miserable  letter  to  the  King,  beseeching  and  entreating  to  be  allowed  to  see  him.  When  he  was  taken  to London,  and  conveyed  bound  into  the  King’s  presence,  he  crawled  to  him  on  his  knees.  But  James  never  forgave  anybody,  and  his  nephew  was  told  to  prepare  for  death.

On  the  fifteenth  of  July,  1685,  this  unfortunate  favourite  of  the  people  was  brought  out  to  die  on  Tower  Hill.  The  crowd  was  immense,  and  the  tops  of  all  the  houses  were  covered  with  people.

Before  laying  down  his  head  upon  the  block  he  felt  the  edge  of  the  axe,  and  told  the  executioner  that  he  feared  it  was  not  sharp  enough,  and  that  the  axe  was  not  heavy  enough.  The  executioner  replied  that  it  was  of  the  proper  kind,  and  the  Duke  said,  “I  pray  you  have  a  care,  and  do  not  use  me  awkwardly.”  The  executioner,  made  nervous  by  this,  struck  once  and  merely  gashed  him  in  the  neck.  Upon  this,  the  Duke  of  Monmouth  raised  his  head  and  looked  at  him  reproachfully.  Then  he  struck  twice,  and  then  thrice,  and  then  threw  down  the  axe,  and  cried  out  in  a  voice  of  horror  that  he  could  not  finish  that  work.

The  sheriffs,  however,  made  him  continue,  and  he  struck  a  fourth  tixne  and  a  fifth  time.  Then  the  wretched  head  at  last  fell  off,  and  James,  Duke  of  Monmouth,  was  dead,  in  the  thirty-sixth  year  of  his  age.  He  was  a  handsome  man,  with  many  popular  qualities,  and  had  found  much  favour  in  the  open  hearts  of  the  English.

The  atrocities,  committed  by  the  Government,  which  followed  this  Monmouth  rebellion,  form  the  blackest  and  most  lamentable  page  in  English  history.  At  Dorchester  alone,  in  the  course  of  a  few  days,  eighty  people  were  hung.  Those  who  escaped  the  gibbet  were  either  whipped  or  imprisoned.

Such  executions  took  place  in  thirty-six  towns  and  villages.  The  bodies  of  the  executed  were  mangled,  steeped  in  caldrons  of  boiling  tar,  and  hung  up  by  the  roadsides.  The  sight  and  smell  of  heads  and  limbs,  the  hissing  and  bubbling  of  the  infernal  caldrons,  and  the  tears  and  terrors  of  the  people,  were  dreadful.  One  rustic,  who  was  forced  to  steep  the  remains  in  the  black  pot,  was  ever  afterwards  called  “Tom  Boilman.”  The  hangman  has  ever  since  been  called  Jack  Ketch,  because  a  man  of  that  name  went  hanging  and  hanging,  all  day  long.

After  all  this  hanging,  beheading,  burning,  and  boiling,  the  King  decided  that  he  could  do  whatever  he  would.  So  he  went  to  work  to  change  the  religion  of  the  country  with  all  possible  speed.  First  of  all,  he  tried  to  get  rid  of  the  Test  Act,  which  prevented  the  Catholics  from  holding  public  employments.  He  revived  the  hated  Ecclesiastical  Commission,  to  get  rid  of  Compton,  Bishop  of  London,  who  manfully  opposed  him.  He  solicited  the  Pope  to  favour  England  with  an  ambassador,  which  the  Pope  (who  was  a  sensible  man  then)  did  rather  unwillingly.  He  flourished  Father  Petre  before  the  eyes  of  the  people  on  all  possible  occasions.  He  favoured  the  establishment  of  convents  in  several  parts  of  London.  He  was  delighted  to  have  the  streets,  and  even  the  court  itself,  filled  with  monks  and  friars  in  the  habits  of  their  orders.  He  wanted  to  make  Catholics  of  all  the  Protestants  about  him.  Protestants  who  held  offices  were  removed,  or  resigned  of  themselves,  and  their  places  were  given  to  Catholics.  James  II  displaced  Protestant  officers  from  the  army,  and  got  Catholics  into  their  places  too.  He  tried  the  same  thing  with  the  corporations.  All  those  who  tried  to  oppose  him  were  punished.  Soon  Father  Petre  was  made  his  Privy  Councillor.

A  spirit  began  to  arise  in  the  country,  which  the  King  little  expected.  He  first  found  it  out  in  the  University  of Cambridge.  Having  appointed  a  Catholic  to  be  a  dean  at Oxford,  without  any  opposition,  James  tried  to  make  a  monk  a  master  of  arts  at Cambridge.  But  the  University  resisted  the  attempt,  and  defeated  him.

The  King  had  issued  a  declaration  that  there  should  be  no  religious  tests  or  penal  laws,  in  order  to  let  in  the  Catholics  more  easily,  but  the  Protestant  dissenters  had  joined  the  regular  church  in  opposing  it.  The  King  and  Father  Petre  now  resolved  to  have  this  declaration  read,  on  a  certain  Sunday,  in  all  the  churches,  and  to  order  it  to  be  circulated  for  that  purpose  by  the  bishops.  The  bishops  took  counsel  with  the  Archbishop  of  Canterbury,  and  resolved  that  the  declaration  should  not  be  read,  and  that  they  would  petition  the  King  against  it.  The  Archbishop  himself  wrote  out  the  petition,  and  six  bishops  went  into  the  King’s  bedchamber  the  same  night  to  present  it,  to  his  infinite  astonishment.

Next  day  was  the  Sunday  fixed  for  the  reading,  and  it  was  only  read  by  two  hundred  clergymen  out  often  thousand.  The  King  resolved  to  prosecute  the  bishops  in  the  Court  of  King’s  Bench,  and  within  three  weeks  they  were  summoned  before  the  Privy  Council,  and  committed  to  the  Tower.  As  the  six  bishops  were  taken  to  the  Tower,  the  people  fell  upon  their  knees,  and  wept  for  them,  and  prayed  for  them.  When  they  got  to  the  Tower,  the  officers  and  soldiers  on  guard  besought  them  for  their  blessing.  While  they  were  confined  there,  the  soldiers  every  day  drank  to  their  release  with  loud  shouts.  When  they  were  brought  up  to  the  Court  of  King’s  Bench  for  their  trial,  the  jury  proclaimed  them  to  be  not  guilty.  The  King  was  greatly  alarmed  with  all  that.

Between  the  petition  and  the  trial,  the  Queen  had  given  birth  to  a  son.  The  new  prospect  of  a  Catholic  successor  (for  both  the  King’s  daughters  were  Protestants)  made  the  Earls  of  Shrewsbury,  Danby,  and  Devonshire,  Lord  Lumley,  the  Bishop  of  London,  Admiral  Russell,  and  Colonel  Sidney  invite  the  Prince  of  Orange  over  to  England.  James  II,  seeing  his  danger  at  last,  made  many  great  concessions,  and  tried  to  raise  an  army  of  forty  thousand  men.  But  the  Prince  of  Orange  was  not  a  man  for  James  to  cope  with.  His  preparations  were  extraordinarily  vigorous,  and  his  mind  was  resolved.

On  the  fifth  of  November,  1688,  his  fleet  anchored  at  Torbay  in  Devonshire,  and  the  Prince  marched  into  Exeter.  But  the  people  in  that  western  part  of  the  country7  had  suffered  so  much  for  having  supported  Monmouth  that  they  had  lost  heart.  Few  people  joined  William,  the  Prince  of  Orange,  and  he  began  to  think  of  returning.

At  this  crisis,  some  of  the  gentry  joined  him;  the  royal  army  began  to  falter;  an  engagement  was  signed,  by  which  all  who  set  their  hand  to  it  declared  that  they  would  support  one  another  in  defence  of  the  laws  and  liberties  of  the  three  Kingdoms,  of  the  Protestant  religion,  and  of  the  Prince  of  Orange.  Then  the  greatest  towns  in  England  began,  one  after  another,  to  declare  for  the  Prince,  and  the  University  of  Oxford  offered  to  melt  down  its  plate,  if  he  wanted  any  money.

By  this  time  the  King  was  at  a  great  loss.  The  newly-  born  Prince  was  sent  to Portsmouth,  Father  Petre  went  off  like  a  shot  to France,  and  all  the  Catholic  priests  and  friars  swiftly  dispersed.  One  after  another,  the  King’s  friends  deserted  him  and  went  over  to  the  Prince.  In  the  night,  his  daughter  Anne  fled  from  Whitehall  Palace;  and  the  Bishop  of  London,  who  had  once  been  a  soldier,  rode  before  her  with  a  sword  in  his  hand,  and  pistols  at  his  saddle.  “God  help  me,”  cried  the  miserable  King,  “even  my  children  have  forsaken  me!”

At  last,  James  II  resolved  to  fly  from London.  On  the  eleventh  of  December  the  King  got  out  of  bed,  went  down  the  back  stairs,  and  rode  to  Feversham.  But  as  the  people  there  suspected  him  to  be  a  Jesuit,  he  had  to  tell  him  who  he  was,  and  that  the  Prince  of  Orange  wanted  to  take  his  life.  The  King  had  to  put  himself  into  the  hands  of  the  Lord  Lieutenant  of  the  county,  and  the  Prince  of  Orange  was  informed  about  that.

But  William  only  wanted  to  get  rid  of  him  James,  and  not  cared  where  he  went.  He  was  rather  disappointed  that  they  had  not  let  him  go  away.

James  was  brought  back  to London.  But  his  stay  there  was  very  short,  for  the  English  guards  were  removed  from Whitehall,  Dutch  guards  were  marched  up  to  it,  and  he  was  told  by  one  of  his  late  ministers  that  the  Prince  would  enter  London  next  day,  and  he  had  better  go  to  Ham.

James  said,  Ham  was  a  cold  damp  place,  and  he  would  rather  go  to Rochester.  He  thought  himself  very  cunning  in  this,  as  he  meant  to  escape  from  Rochester  to France.  The  Prince  of  Orange  and  Iris  friends  knew  that  perfectly  well,  and  desired  nothing  more.  So,  he  went  to Gravesend,  in  his  royal  barge,  attended  by  certain  lords,  and  watched  by  Dutch  troops,  and  pitied  by  the  generous  people,  when  they  saw  him  in  his  humiliation.

On  the  night  of  the  twenty-third  of  December,  not  even  then  understanding  that  everybody  wanted  to  get  rid  of  him,  he  got  away  to France,  where  he  rejoined  the  Queen.

Then  all  those  who  had  served  in  any  of  the  Parliaments  of  King  Charles  II  resolved  that  the  Protestant  Prince  and  Princess  of  Orange  should  be  King  and  Queen  during  their  lives  and  the  life  of  the  survivor  of  them;  and  that  their  children  should  succeed  them,  if  they  had  any.  That  if  they  had  none,  the  Princess  Anne  and  her  children  should  succeed;  that  if  she  had  none,  the  heirs  of  the  Prince  of  Orange  should  succeed.

On  the  thirteenth  of  January,  1689,  the  Prince  and  Princess,  sitting  on  a  throne  in  Wliitehall,  bound  themselves  to  these  conditions.  The  Protestant  religion  was  established  in England,  and England’s  Glorious  Revolution  was  complete.

« ||| »

Tagged as:

Comments are closed.