The History of England

from Celts through 20th century


Category: Theatre

Old  Vic  Theatre  (in  the  Waterloo  Road)  is  famous  for  its  Shake­speare  productions.  The  theatre  opened  in  1818.  It  was  originally  the  Royal  Cobury.  Owning  to  the  state  of  the  roads  the  rank  and  fashion  of  town  were  unwilling  to  risk  the  journey  across  the  river,  and  the  Cobury  became  a  local  house  for  melodrama  of  the  most  sensational  kind,  but  the  plays  were  apparently  well-staged.  The  interior  was  handsomely  decorated,  one  of  the  most  interesting  features  being  the  famous  curtain  installed  in  1820—21,  which  consisted  of  sixty-three  pieces  of  looking-glass  and  reflected  the  whole  house.  Its  weight  put  too  great  a  strain  on  the  roof,  and  it  had  to  be  removed. 

In  1871,  after  a  period  as  a  music-hall  the  theatre  was  sold  by  auction  and  became  the  New  Victoria  Palace.  It  closed  in  1880.  Then  it  was  reopened  on  Boxing  Day    in  1880  as  a  temperance  amusement-hall.  It  was  named  the  Royal  Victoria  Hall  and  Coffee  Tavern.  It  was  intended  as  a  cheap  and  decent  place  for  family  entertainment  at  reasonable  prices,  and  in  spite  of  considerable  misgivings,  it  prospered.  In  1900  the  first  opera  was  produced  there  and  scenes  from  Shakespeare  supplemented  the  usual  vocal  and  orchestral  concerts.  In  1914  the  first  regular  Shake­speare  season  was  given.

A  succession  of  excellent  actors  and  directors  assured  the  success  of  the  Old  Vic  far  beyond  the  confines  of  its  own  territory.

In  1963  on  15  June  the  Old  Vic  closed  and  was  reopened  after  extensive  alterations  as  the  temporary  home  of  the  National  Theatre  company  under  the  direction  of  Laurence  Olivier.


This  was  opened  on  23  December  1905.  In  1960  The  Aldwych  became  the  London  home  of  the  Royal  Shakespeare  company,  and  extensive  alterations  were  in  the  interior.

(From  The  Oxford  Companion  to  the  Theatre  Londont  1967)

« ||| »

Comments are closed.